No game day is complete without a little treat and these football shaped whoopie pies made using boxed cake mix, are just that! You don’t even have to have an oval or egg shaped pan, cos seriously do you need one? If you just answered yes, then ignore me and by all means buy one. Infact, they even have football shaped silicone moulds here that would be perfect for this recipe. But you don’t need one.
And here is how you can make them this Super Bowl…
Football Whoopie Pies Recipe:
1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix (any kind you like)
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Water
For the Buttercream Filling-
1 1/2 stick of butter
1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
A small tube of white decorating gel for the football laces
– Pre-heat your oven to 350F then start by whisking together the eggs, vegetable oil and water.
– Then add the cake mix and stir well, till it’s lump free and smooth batter. The batter should be a little thicker than usual.
– Spoon the batter well spaced out into little blobs.
– Using the back of a spoon or butter knife try to shape the batter into little oblong, football shapes. Careful beacause they are going to spread out, so keep them as small as you can.
– Pop them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Then take them out and let them cool
– While you’re waiting, you can get started with the butter cream filling. It’s as simple as whisking softened butter with powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a stand up mixer for 6-7 minutes until white and fluffy.
– To assemble the whoopie pies, pipe some of the cream filling on the underside of a football shaped cake cookie.
– Place another football cake cookie over the frosting and press down a little to sandwich the frosting between the two cakes. Repeat with the rest of the cakes.
– To decorate the football woopie pies, draw laces using a small tube of white decorating gel.
Coachin Kariery says
Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment
but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show
up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that
over again. Anyway, just wanted to say superb blog!
Can these be assembled and refrigerated the day before?
Yes, they absolutely can.