You can fill these adorable puff with whatever takes your fancy, like buffalo chicken, spicy chicken, ground beef, mushrooms….anything you want , really! If you want to make a sweet treat out of it, try filling it with deliciously creamy Nutella (who doesn’t like Nutella right?) like I’ve done below, or you can even try some apple pie like filling, sweetened cream cheese, raspberry, blueberry….again, whatever you like! The possibilities are endless.
For my chicken puffs, I chose a simple creamy chicken (that tasted like chicken pot pie filling) with a dash of marsala wine. And for a sweet version, I filled it them with my favorite…crack…just kidding…Nutella. Anyway here’s how you can make these adorable and super tasty puffs.
Football Chicken Puffs Recipe
* 1/2 lb ground chicken
(or 1 large chicken breast, finely diced)
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* 1/2 tsp Itlaian herb seasoning
* 1/2 cup frozen peas
* 1/4 cup marsala wine
* 1/4 cup condensed cream of chicken soup
* 2 sheets of puff pastry
* 1 egg
- If you’re using chicken breast, start by finely dicing it into small pieces.If you’re using ground chicken/turkey…simple skip to mincing the 2 garlic cloves.
- Then heat some olive oil in a pan and sautee the minced garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the chicken to the pan and sautee it with the garlic.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and some Itlaian heb seasoning.
- Toss in the frozen peas and pour the marsala wine (or white wine) to de-glaze the pan and help cook the peas.
- Add the condensed cream of chicken soup and stir well to coat all the chicken. Once the peas are tender, turn off the heat and allow the chicken mix to cool.
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the directions on the box. Then lay out one sheet and roll it out to half the thickness.
- Then using a football shaped template (in the size you want), cut out little football shapes. Re-roll the scraps and cut out as many as you can out of the pastry. I managaed 18-20 football shaped pastry cut-outs out of each sheet.
- Then whisk one egg with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash.
- To assemble the football chicken puffs…lay out the cut pastry on a greased cookie sheet (I use a silpat silicon mat) and spoon a little of the chicken mix in the center, spreading it along the length of the pastry but leaving about 1/2 an inch along the edges.
- Brush a little egg wash along the edges and then place another pastry cut out over the top, pressing the edges with your finger.
- Crimp the edges with a fork, to help seal the puffs. And, then snip or cut some vents in the top to resemble football laces.
- Lastly, brush some more egg wash over the top of the football puffs and bake them at 400F for about 15-20 minutes until they turn a beautiful golden.
- For a sweet treat, simple fill the puff with a spoon of nutella instead of the chicken. Sprinkle some fine sugar over the top, after you brush them with egg wash, for some added sweetness and to differenciate them fromt he savory chicken puffs.
Other Game Day Recipes: