This was the first time I had made a watermelon salad, and it made me wonder why I had never made it before! Yes, I know watermelons are lovely in the summer, but the combination with the mint and the feta and the lemon juice dressing can’t get any more perfect for a hot summer day. Gosh, I can’t believe how I’ve wasted 24, almost 25, years of my life! Now I finally feel like I’ve found myself. And this recipe.
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup (80 ml or 5 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 red onion, thinly slivered (Here’s how you do it.)
- 5 cups seeded watermelon, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup mint, roughly chopped (I LOVE the taste of mint in this salad. Feel free to add more if you like it too!)
- 2 cups baby arugula or baby spinach
- 150 g feta cheese, crumbled or chopped
- sliced black olives (Optional)
- A few whole mint leaves to garnish
- – In a small bowl, add the white wine vinegar, the zest and the juice from both, the lime and the lemon. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- – Add the thin onion slices to the dressing and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes as you get the rest of your salad together.
- – In your salad bowl, add the water melon chunks, arugula/baby spinach and mint, and keep refrigerated. Also keep your feta cheese refrigerated.
- – When ready to serve, take salad out of the refrigerator, add the salad dressing with the onions and give it a good toss.
- – Add 2/3 of the feta cheese and toss gently. Sprinkle the remaining feta cheese on top. Garnish with whole mint leaves.
Leave a Reply