A hearty and traditional pasta sauce favorite with a ground lamb makeover. Served with a twist of feta and mint, this is the perfect stick to your ribs comfort dish!
So in recent news, I’m expecting my first baby! And while I had one hell of a first trimester where I couldn’t keep very much down at all, this second trimester has been rather smooth sailing. I feel like myself again and more importantly I am able to enjoy food again…phew! It’s so nice to be able to eat and not worry about how it will taste coming back up. And what’s even better is having the energy and appetite to be cooking again.
So, I have been cooking up a storm of anything and everything my body is craving (you gotta take advantage of the situation, right?!). Now that doesn’t mean I’ve been gorging on junk food or have (completely) giving up on healthy eating, it’s just that… if I want a big bowl of carb loaded pasta, that’s what I’m eating. Now, I have taken a leaf out of my Whole30 experience and I’m trying to quench my cravings of comfort foods…by making it all from scratch and using fresh clean ingredients as far as possible, instead of the processed stuff. It’s more time consuming and takes a lot more effort but at least that way, I’m in control of what goes into my body. And I feel like it tastes way better any way.
A big bowl of Spaghetti Bolognese (one of my all time favorite pasta!) was what I was craving this week. But instead of the traditional ground beef, I had a packet of ground lamb in my freezer and decided to do a little twist on the classic….a Lamb Bolognese. And what goes better with lamb?… fresh mint and some tangy feta, which is what I chose to garnish my sauce with. It was sooo good. There’s a richness to lamb, that makes this dish so stick to your ribs comforting and the touch of fresh herbs and cheese gives it some bright freshness. You’ll want to try it for [email protected]
Although I served the sauce up on spaghetti cos that’s what I really wanted to eat, you can use any pasta of your choice or even make it completely Gluten free, Paleo and Whole30 compliant if you swapped the pasta out with zoodles or spaghetti squash instead (and skip the feta…to keep it dairy-free)! Here’s how you can make this delicious sauce…
Watch The Video Of this Recipe:
- 1 lb Ground Lamb
- 3 Tbsp Live Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots, finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery, finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Italian dry herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 (28oz) Can San Marzano Tomatoes, Crushed
- 1/2 Cup fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup fresh flat-leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 Cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Feta, crumbled (skip for Paleo/Whole30)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Pasta (of your choice) or
- Spiralized Zucchini (for a paleo/whole30 version)
- - Heat olive oil in a pan on medium high.
- - Add the diced onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they turn soft and translucent.
- - Add minced garlic, diced carrots & diced celery and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- - Add mushrooms and the ground lamb and break up the meat in the pan.
- - Add the Italian dry herb seasoning, red pepper flakes and season with salt and black pepper.
- - Mix everything well and brown the meat.
- - Once browned, add a can of crushed San Marzano (Italian) tomatoes, chopped basil and parsley. Stir it all well.
- - Lower the heat to low and simmer the sauce covered for at least 20 mins
- - Check your seasoning and add salt and black pepper as needed. Stir well.
- - Serve over pasta or (spiralized zucchini for a paleo/ whole30 version) and garnish with fresh mint & crumbled feta (skip the cheese for paleo/whole30)
Leave a Reply