If you love your greens and spinach as much as I do, this recipe is for you. However, if you’re anything like my husabnd and won’t go near anything, “green, slimey and resmbles what you may find in a baby’s diaper” in his words, you might just want to skip to another recipe. Now, although the dish may not look pretty (I admit I struggled photographing it, as it just wasn’t easy to serve up and make it look as good), the taste is why I’m posting the recipe and isn’t that the best reason to post a recipe?
I’m not going to try to sell this dish as super healthy, cos that would be taking it a little far. However, it has a substantial serving of spinach which is healthy. My mom made this dish when I was growing up and as I happen to LOVE spinach, so I guess you can say I have a soft spot for this recipe.
Anyway, let me know what you think if you try it, in your comments below. I’d love to be able to tell my husband “HA! See people DO like it!”, cos he wasn’t impressed when I was cooking it and told him for a post.
Baked Cheesy Spinach Pasta Recipe
1/2 pack (1/2lb) spaghetti (or any kind of pasta)
3/4 lb of fresh spinach
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp chopped jalapenos
1 1/2 tbs butter
1 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cheese
– Start by rinsing your spinach, toss it in a big pot along with 3/4 cup of water and some chopped jalapenos.
– Cover the pot and let the spinach cook down for about 5-7 minutes, until it’s wilted. Once it’s wilted allow it to cool enough to put in a blender and make a puree.
– While the spinach is cooling get a pot of water going to boil the pasta. Cook it according to directions on the box, until it’s just a touch undercooked (as we’re going to bake it later).
– Puree the spinach in a blender until smooth.
– Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sautee them in a touch of olive oil for a few minutes until, they turn soft and translucent.
– Then pour in the spinach puree to the onion and garlic, season it with salt and stir, cooking it on high to allow the mixture to dry out a little.
– While the spinach mix is cooking, get another pan on the stove on medium-high. Add the butter and let it melt.
– As soon as the butter melts add the flour and whisk it into the butter making sure it’s smooth. Allow it to cook a little until it turns a very light, golden.
– Then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking to make sure there are no lumps and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
– Season with salt, pepper and add the parmesan cheese and switch off the heat as soon as the sauce thickens to the consistency you’d like.
– Pour in the spinach mix into the white sauce and mix together well.
– Add the boiled pasta to the sauce and mix it all together, coating all the pasta with the sauce.
– Spoon the pasta into a greased/sprayed baking dish and top with cheese.
– Bake the pasta at 375F for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is all bubbly and golden.
– Cut and serve….