The best way to eat Falafels (in my opinion) is in a soft pita lined with hummus, over some tangy Turkish Salad and drizzled with lemony Tahini Sauce….yummmm. It’s probably the best vegetarian wrap out there (again, in my opinion)!
As I previously posted my Falafel recipe (see here), I thought it only fair to share the other components of the pita wrap that make it one of my favorites. While I do usually make my hummus from scratch, I didn’t do so in this instance, so you’ll just have to wait for that recipe for another day.
So here’s how you can make the Turkish Salad and Tahini sauce…
Click here for the Falafel Recipe
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 large cucumber (or 1 small)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/2 a small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of one lemon (2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- feta cheese and black onlives for garnish
- Chop the lettuce in bite-size pieces. De-seed (optional) and chop the cucumber and tomatoes. Seed the the peppers, remove the cores and cut the flesh into thin strips. Cut the red onion in half, peel and finely slice it. Then toss all the chopped veggies into a large bowl.
- To make the dressing crush, peel and finely mince the clove of garlic. Add to it the juice of a large lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil, the finely chopped mint and parsley and sumac. Whisk everything together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly. Serve garnished with feta cheese cubes and some black olives.
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- sprinkle of cayenne powder
- 2-3 tbsp water
- – Simply mix together 1/4 cup of tahini paste, 1/2 tbsp of honey, 2-3 tbsp lemon juice, salt to taste, a light sprinkling of cayenne powder and 2-3 tbsp of water. Stir it all well and adjust the consistency of the sauce with more or less water and Ta-Da! It’s done! Drizzle over your falafels in a pita wrap….mmmm.
[…] Previous Post Next Post → Falafel Noreen August 21, 2014 5 I’ve been on a Middle-Eastern cuisine kick lately. […]