This is a quick and easy recipe for Tangy Turkish Salad of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, onions and feta with a garlicky lemon, mint and parsley dressing. It goes wonderfully with falafels, especially if your making a pita wrap out of them.
It also pairs beautifully with this moist Greek Marinated Salmon with Tzatziki Sauce.
Here’s how you can make it…
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 large cucumber (or 1 small)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/2 a small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of one lemon (2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- feta cheese and black onlives for garnish
- Chop the lettuce in bite-size pieces. De-seed (optional) and chop the cucumber and tomatoes. Seed the the peppers, remove the cores and cut the flesh into thin strips. Cut the red onion in half, peel and finely slice it. Then toss all the chopped veggies into a large bowl.
- To make the dressing crush, peel and finely mince the clove of garlic. Add to it the juice of a large lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil, the finely chopped mint and parsley and sumac. Whisk everything together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly. Serve garnished with feta cheese cubes and some black olives.