Sweet and Sour Salmon is foil packets: Easy and packed full of flavor with sweet pineapple and bright peppers, these packets are perfect for throwing on the grill or cooking in the oven for a delicious spring/summer meal!
As a the weather warms up, I love making lighter and easier meals. But that doesn’t mean compromising on flavors or just eating salads! To be honest I’m not much of a salad-as-a-whole-meal kind of person. Don’t get me wrong, I like salads…just on the side of my meat and veggies 🙂 What I do love, is grilling marinated meats and veggies for a quick dinner outside paired with a cold salad or fruit for a well balanced meal. These Grilled Honey Chipotle Chicken drumsticks, Grilled Portobello Mushroom Pizzas, Grilled Beer Marinated Chicken and Chicken Satay recipes are all perfect examples of spring/summer grilled meals that I love. Now, you can add this delicious Sweet & Sour Salmon Recipe to the list also. It’s so simple and easy to make, yet so packed with flavors, you’ll be making this recipe all summer long. You can customize the sauce to your palate by making it sweeter or more spicy and also feel free to throw in whatever veggies you have on hand in the packets with the salmon. Throw it on the grill for 10-12 minutes and you have a delicious meal to eat right out of the packet or with a small scoop of white or brown jasmine rice.
If you are going the oven route, which I did, cos it was raining and cold outside when I shot the recipe, then you can skip the foil packets and make this a sheet pan meal instead. Either way it’s delicious and I promise you’ll love the simplicity of the recipe.
If you do try this recipe and like it, I would love to see it on Instagram or Facebook so tag me @picturetherecipe (instagram) and/ or share them on https://www.facebook.com/PictureTheRecipe/ or simple tag them with #picturetherecipe. Enjoy!
- 4 Salmon fillets
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple, diced
- 1/4 Cup + extra (for garnish) fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 1-2 Tbsp Sambal Oelek (or chili sauce)
- 1/2-1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- - Mix all the sauce ingredients except the oil and minced garlic together in a bowl and set aside.
- - In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil and sautee the minced garlic for a minute or two until fragrant.
- - Then add in all the mixed sauce ingredients and bring to a boil while stirring.
- - Turn the heat to a medium-low and simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes, stirring occassionally till it becomes very thick.
- - Turn off the hheat and let the sauce cool. Add the chopped cilantro to the cooled sauce and stir in.
- - In the meantime, divide the diced peppers and pineapple on 4 foil squares and place a salmon fillet on top of them and season with salt.
- - Top each fillet with some of the sweet and sour sauce and seal the packets.
- - You can cook the salmon by placing the foil packets on the grill or in a 375F pre-heated oven for 10-12 mins.
- - Garnish with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
- You can also just skip the foil part and place the salmon on top of the veggies in a baking sheet and top with sauce and cook at 375F for 12-15 minutes
Ichi Tokyo says
Thanks so much for sharing recipe!