Crusty on the outside with a creamy and almost custard-like crumb in the center, this cake is packed with fresh strawberries and is guaranteed to become a delightful summertime favorite!
I had major pregnancy cravings for a sweet fruity dessert last week and I was scouring the internet for something to make with the strawberries I had on hand. I was too lazy to go to the store so I didn’t want it to have too many complicated ingredients which is when I came across this delightful recipe from Foodtastic Mom. It looked perfect for what I was craving. So I gave it a whirl. And it was wonderful!!
While I loved the taste of the cake from the original recipe, I did find myself having to cook it a little more than the suggested time as it was way too custard like in the center otherwise. I am pregnant and didn’t want to risk consuming raw(ish) batter with eggs in it. Also I used a 10inch spring form pan, instead of a 9 inch skillet or cake pan, so I decided to play around with the recipe a little and tweak some of the ratios to better suit the cake texture I was going for. After making it a few days in a row, I finally found a sweet spot of the ratios that made for a nice super moist crumb and still retained the nice crust on the top and sides.
I can’t wait for more fruits to come in season and try out this recipe with fresh ripe peaches, plums or a mix of berries from my garden. It would also be wonderful with apples in the fall with a light dusting of cinnamon sugar on top I would imagine. But for now…here’s my version of a Strawberry French Cake.
Watch the Video Version of this Recipe:
- 1 Full Stick (8oz- 1 Cup) of Butter, softened
- 3/4 + 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup A.P Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 (16oz) Cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- - Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray or butter.
- - In a mixer bowl, whip together the softened butter with 3/4 cup granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. 5-7 mins.
- - Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Beat in the Vanilla.
- - In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- - Alternate adding a little bit of the flour mixture and sour cream, to the butter mixture, beating after each addition until just combined ending with flour. Scrap the sides of the bowl.
- - Fold in the sliced strawberries reserving some slices for the top.
- - Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan and place the reserved sliced strawberries on top.
- - Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar on top of the cake batter.
- - Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
- - Let the cake cool completely.
- - Serve with whipped cream/ice cream.
- - A 9 or 10inch pan works best for this recipe
- - The center of this cake is meant to be very moist and "custard-like", not crumbly like traditional cake.
Thank you for linking to my recipe. Your cake looks lovely. Glad you like it as much as I do!!
I made this yesterday! Yum! However I think I stirred it too much or I should have stirred in a little flour with the strawberries first as they sunk to the bottom of the cake. My fault. Anyway this cake is amazing! My family mentioned that the cake texture is so soft. Great cake with fresh strawberries! Yum!
Haseena Aslam says
Hey! This looks delish! Can we make this with frozen strawberries? Wondering if we. An make this during off season too.