Juicy Greek-style lamb meatballs on a bed of garlicky yogurt and topped with some refreshing mint chimichurri sauce.
I have been on a real lamb kick lately….first with the Lamb Bolognese and now these Greek Style Lamb Meatballs. I think it’s because I miss eating mutton (goat meat), which is our go to red meat in India. Lamb is a very underrated meat here in the US. It’s only been recently that I’ve seen it a little more regularly in the meat departments around here rather than just making an appearance during Easter and such Holidays. But I’ll take it!! It’s a welcome change from all the beef, pork and chicken we eat a lot of.
Part of my childhood I lived in the Middle-East and then later in India. We traveled a fair amount and as a family loved eating a wide variety of cuisines. Mediterranean was always one of our favorites and often made a feature on our meal rotations. Greek Moussaka, Indian Biryani, Burmese Khow Suey, Chinese Lemon Chicken, English Shephards/Cottage pie… weren’t exotic dishes in our household. My mom experimented and made these dishes a part of our daily meals …we ate Indian one day, Lebanese the next, Chinese to Italian. There didn’t have to be a special occasion to eat good food. It was just part of our everyday life. Which is why you’ll find a hodge-podge of all cuisines here on my blog….and today I am making Greek style lamb meatballs.
These juicy Lamb meatballs make a elegant appetizer, or a whole meal in itself. Served on a bed of garlicky yogurt, with a little salad of radishes & cucumbers and topped with some delicious mint chimichurri sauce (pictured above- get the recipe here) it doesn’t get more flavorful than this. For a Whole30/Paleo version of this recipe, substitute the Rice flour with Arrowroot powder and leave out the garlic yogurt. Try it out for yourself…and let me know in the comments below.
Here’s how you can make these delicious meatballs at home.
Watch a Video Of This Recipe:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 Cup Onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Flat Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 Large Egg, whisked
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt, to taste
- 3-4 Radishes, sliced
- 1 Small Cucumber, sliced
- - Combine the ground lamb, onion, galric, parsley, fennel seed, corriander powder, cumin powder, crushed red pepper, rice flour, egg, salt and pepper together well.
- - Mix with your hands if needed.
- - Form about 20 palm sized meatballs rolling them in your hands.
- - Place on a parchment lined baking tray and allow to set for about 10 mins in the fridge while you preheat the oven to 450F
- - Bake the meatballs at 450F for about 15-20 mins
- - While the meatballs are cooking, mince/grate 1-2 cloves of garlic into the greek yogurt.
- - Season with salt and stir well.
- - Slice the radishes & cucumbers into half moons and season them with salt.
- - To plate spoon some of the garlic yogurt on the bottom of the pate, top with meatballs...garnish with sliced radishes & cucumbers and top with mint chimichurri sauce.
Albert Bevia says
wow! these Greek style lamb meatballs look and sound insane good! love anything with yogurt, it always uplifts the flavors, and that mint chimichurri sauce….amazing stuff
You really can’t go wrong with garlicky yogurt, lamb and mint chimichurri!
I LOVE LAMB MEATBALLS! I don’t think I’ve ever had them spiced quite like this though. They sound wonderful.
This sounds soooo flavorful with that yogurt and chimichurri! Swooning….
Thank you…it really is packed with flavors!
Thanks so much for the post.Really thank you! Keep writing.