Caramel Apple Marshmellow Tarts
1 pack of pie crust ( I used Pillsbury)
3 Apples (any kind you like)
Half a stick of butter (2oz)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp cinnamon powder
3/4 cup of mini marshmellows
3 tbsp Caramel syrup
– Start by peeling and coring the apples. Dice them into small bite sized pieces and toss them into a mixing bowl.
– To the apples, add 2 tablespoons of flour…
– 3 or 4 tablespoons of the sugar
– and the cinnamon powder.
– Mix everything well that all the apple pieces are coated with the good stuff.
– Then, in a deep pan melt half a stick of butter..
– Toss in the apple mixture and let it cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes till the apples soften.
– Add in about 1 cup of water and the rest of the sugar and let it bubble away and form a sticky sauce. Then turn off the heat and let the apple filling cool down.
– In the meantime, roll out your thawed pie crust and cut it with a round cookie cutter. (I got around 10-11 cuts from one pie crust). Lay them on a baking sheet.
– Then spoon a little of the apple filling in the center of your pie crust pastry.
– Pinch the sides of the pastry up all the way around the apple filling. (Make sure to pinch quite hard so that they don’t open up later, like some of mine did…lesson learned!)
– Pop into the oven at 425F for around 10-12 mins and then take them out.
– Put a couple of (2-3) mini marshmellows in each little tart and pop it back in to the oven for 2-3 minutes.
– Take the tarts out of the oven and let them cool a little while. You’ll notice the marmellows that puffed up in the oven, melt and ooze into the apple filling…mmmm. Then drizzle some of the caramel syrup oven the top and eat while it’s still slightly warm.
Marshmallow, not marshmellow.
Ooops my bad!
Eggwash around the edges before pinching would make it much easier to keep the sides together. Just mix an egg and a splash of milk. Then, use your finger to rub some around the edge. Eggwash will also give your crust a golden glossy finish.
Thats a really good idea. Thanks Deenis!