Crusty on the outside with a creamy and almost custard-like crumb in the center, this cake is packed with fresh strawberries and is guaranteed to become a delightful summertime favorite!
I had major pregnancy cravings for a sweet fruity dessert last week and I was scouring the internet for something to make with the strawberries I had on hand. I was too lazy to go to the store so I didn’t want it to have too many complicated ingredients which is when I came across this delightful recipe from Foodtastic Mom. It looked perfect for what I was craving. So I gave it a whirl. And it was wonderful!!
While I loved the taste of the cake from the original recipe, I did find myself having to cook it a little more than the suggested time as it was way too custard like in the center otherwise. I am pregnant and didn’t want to risk consuming raw(ish) batter with eggs in it. Also I used a 10inch spring form pan, instead of a 9 inch skillet or cake pan, so I decided to play around with the recipe a little and tweak some of the ratios to better suit the cake texture I was going for. After making it a few days in a row, I finally found a sweet spot of the ratios that made for a nice super moist crumb and still retained the nice crust on the top and sides.
I can’t wait for more fruits to come in season and try out this recipe with fresh ripe peaches, plums or a mix of berries from my garden. It would also be wonderful with apples in the fall with a light dusting of cinnamon sugar on top I would imagine. But for now…here’s my version of a Strawberry French Cake.
Watch the Video Version of this Recipe:
- 1 Full Stick (8oz- 1 Cup) of Butter, softened
- 3/4 + 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup A.P Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 (16oz) Cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- - Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray or butter.
- - In a mixer bowl, whip together the softened butter with 3/4 cup granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. 5-7 mins.
- - Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Beat in the Vanilla.
- - In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- - Alternate adding a little bit of the flour mixture and sour cream, to the butter mixture, beating after each addition until just combined ending with flour. Scrap the sides of the bowl.
- - Fold in the sliced strawberries reserving some slices for the top.
- - Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan and place the reserved sliced strawberries on top.
- - Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar on top of the cake batter.
- - Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
- - Let the cake cool completely.
- - Serve with whipped cream/ice cream.
- - A 9 or 10inch pan works best for this recipe
- - The center of this cake is meant to be very moist and "custard-like", not crumbly like traditional cake.