I’m always looking to make quick and easy weeknight meals and chicken is usually the best option. The other night I was craving a full fledged meal with the works, but didn’t want to spend most of my evening cooking it. So I threw together some spinach stuffed chicken rolls that literally took 25 minutes to make along with a side of creamy roasted mushrooms that took 20 minutes to make.Instant mashed potatoes and salad completed the meal that I was craving.
This recipe is not only quick and easy to put together…it was comforting, just as home cooking should be.
For the chicken-
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
11/2 cup of frozen spinach
3-4 wedges cheese spread
3 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste.
For the Mushrooms-
1 (8oz) pack of mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3 sprigs of thyme
2-3 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
– Start by slicing the chicken breasts into two thinner pieces each.
– Then using clingfirm over the chicken breast, flatten them with a meat hammer.
– Cook the spinach according to instructions on the pack. I just added 2 tbsp of water to mine and put a lid on it and popped it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high.
– Once your spinach is cooked, sqeeze the excess water out of it and add a couple of wedges of cheese and mix it up with a fork.
– Season the inside of the chicken well with salt pepper and cajun seasoning, spoon some of the spinach in the center and roll the chicken over. Season the outside with more salt, pepper and cajun spices.
– Pre heat the oven to 400F. Heat a little oil in an oven proff skillet.
– Seal the chicken rolls fold side down in the pan for 4-5 minutes, then pop the pan in the oven for 15 minutes.
– For the mushrooms…cut them in halves or keep them whole, whatever your preference.Place them in a baking tray. Add whole cloves of garlic, crush with the back of your knife, olive oil, thyme, salt & black pepper. And stick the tray under the broiler for 10-15 mins on high.
– Half way through the cooking, you can take them out and pour out all the juices into a pan. This will help them roast better.
– Once their roasted and smelling lovely…take them out and pull out the garlic and thyme.
– Heat the pan with the juices and add to it the cream and parmesan cheese. Toss in the mushrooms and turn off the heat. Stir them well…the cheesy sauce will coat the mushrooms.