I’m a complete meat-eater, a meatatarian (I know it’s not a real word, but it shoulld be!) if you will. It’s not that I don’t like my vegetables, I just like it to the side of my meat 🙂 . That said, if I had be a vegetarian, mushrooms would definitely be the first on my list of favorite foods. I think they are flavorful and they give a meal that meaty texture. I especially love, these huge portobello mushrooms and when I prepare them, they’re my entree and not a side.
Having made my quick and easy mexican rice the just the other day, I had some leftovers. So I decided to stuff some gorgeous portobellos with the rice, top it with a slice of pepper jack cheese (one of my favorite types of cheese!) and bake it in the oven. Fortunately for me, my husband doesn’t like mushrooms and so I got to eat them both and boy were they delicious!!
This Stuffed Portobello recipe would make an excellent main course for vegetarians at a dinner party as they’re not only a good meal portion side, but because they are simple to make ahead and are super tasty. This is one of those rare vegetarian meals I truly enjoy without having the urge of adding meat to it at all. Even for a meatatarian like me, you won’t miss it!
Mexican Rice Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
2 Portobello Mushrooms
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Mexican rice, prepared (see recipe)
2 slices pepper jack cheese
– Pre-heating the oven to 400F. Then start by cleaning the portobellos with a damp cloth and remove the stems.Using the edge of a spoon you can scrape and remove the gills of the Portobello, if you choose. I don’t mind leaving it on. It doesn’t make a big difference.
– Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil on both sides.
– Season the mushrooms well with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Repeat the same on the other side too.
– Next, spoon the prepared mexican rice in the cavity of the mushroom, letting it heap over a little.
– Top the rice with a slice of pepper jack cheese.
– Heat a cast iron pan on the stove. Place the stuffed portobello mushrooms rice side up in the pan and let it grill the bottom for a couple minutes. Then pop the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.