Lasagna can be a tedious dish to prepare with all those layers and different sauces to prepare. But then again who doesn’t like lasagna right?
Here’s a way to not only simplify the process of making lasagna, but also serving it. With these lasagna rolls, you won’t have the hassle of slicing the lasagna only to have the layered stuffing fall out into a mess on the plate. Granted, it does still taste good…but if you want to make fancier individual servings if lasagna…Lasagna rolls are the way to go. After trying this, I don’t think you’d go back to making the traditional layered lasagna again. What ever your favorite flavors and sauces are, you can roll it up into neat individual sized portions that hold up a lot better and make serving it a cinche!
Lasagna Rolls Recipe
12 uncooked lasagna sheets
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb ground turkey/ ground beef
1/2 an onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning (mix herbs)
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes (optional for heat)
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15 oz) container Ricotta Cheese
1 large egg
2 handfuls of fresh flat leaf parsley
1 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– Finely chop the onion and garlic.
– Heat the olive oil in a deep fry pan and saute the garlic and onion till soft. Add the ground turkey/ beef and stir to break up the meat.
– Season the meat with Salt, pepper, the Italian seasoning (mix herbs) and red pepper flakes for heat and let the meat cook and brown.
– For restaurant style meat sauce, drain the meat of any excess fat in the pan and pulse the meat mix in a food processor for about minute until the meat breaks down into smaller grains.(you can skip this step if it’s too much hassle and you like the rustic-ness of homemade meat sauce).
– Return the meat to the pan and add the tomato puree or crushed tomatoes. If you use tomato puree you may have to add about a cup of water. Let it simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes. Taste and check for seasoning.
– While that’s bubbling away you can get started with lasagna sheets. Cook the lasagna sheets in salted water according to the instructions on the packet.
– In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese, half the mozzarella, half the parmesan cheese, a handful of parsley, an egg, salt and pepper and mix well.
– To assemble the lasagna rolls, lay the sheets out on parchment or wax paper. Spread the ricotta cheese mix along the sheets, then spoon some of the meat mix on each sheet as well. Roll up each of the lasagna sheets individually.
– In the bottom of the baking dish you’re going to use, spread a thin layer of the meat sauce. Then place the lasagna rolls in the dish and top with some more meat sauce. Spread the remaining mozzarella, parmesan cheese and parsley evenly over the top.
– Cover the dish with foil making sure it’s not touching the cheese at all and bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.