Bacon & Tomatoes are a classic combination of flavors. So are tomatoes and fresh basil. It’s no wonder the flavors of this tart just work. Add caramelized onions for some body and you have a jazzed up tart that’s perfect for brunch and for serving to company!
This recipe is so very easy to make and assemble, you just have to give it a try.
1 Pie crust
8-10 slices of bacon
1 & 1/4 onions
1 tbsp worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 can diced tomatoes
Salt & pepper To taste
1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
3-4 basil leaves thinly sliced
– Start by pre-heating your oven to 425F. Then slice the onions in to thin round slices, using mandolin slicer if you have one or just by hand.
– Seperate the rings by pushing them out with your hands, don’t worry about breaking them, it really doesn’t matter.
-Then fry the bacon strips in batches, till it’s just crispy. Blot any excess grease from the bacon by placing them on kitchen towels.
– Drain the pan of most of the bacon grease, but leave about a teaspoon in the pan. We’ll use the same pan to caramelize the onions picking up all that bacon flavor.
– Toss in the sliced onion rings, season them with salt and let them cook down slowly on medium heat.
– When the onions are cooking, roll out your pie pastry and line a well greased, loose bottom tart pan with it. Press it into the sides and using the sides, cut off any excess crust.
– Prick the crust with a fork to keep it from bubbling up and bake it for 8-9 minutes until light golden.
– By now your onions should be soft and a little translucent. Then add a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and mix it in well. Cook the onions until they caramelize and turn a golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
– Once the crust is a light golden brown. Take it out of the oven and assemble the tart. Start by brushing about a tablespoon of dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust.
– Spoon in the Caramelized onions and spread them evenly in the tart crust.Season it with salt and pepper.
– Top it with some drained diced tomatoes from a can or better still..fresh tomatoes. I used canned diced tomatoes with roasted garlic.
– Then roughly chop or crumble the crispy bacon on top.
– Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil.
– Tip: To take the tart out while it’s still hot, simple place a glass under the tart pan so the side slides down.