This gorgeous salad looks and tastes like a million bucks, but couldn’t be easier to make! With the classic combination of beets, walnuts and goat cheese, this salad is taken to the next level with a citrus tahini dressing.
I love beets any time of the year. Any one who says they taste like dirt has not had beets prepared correctly. Not only is this root vegetable gorgeous with it’s deep magenta color, they are very healthy and packed full of potassium, folic acid and magnesium. They also taste unlike any other vegetable out there.
If that doesn’t convince you to give beets a try, the sheer combination of earthy beets, with creamy sharp goat cheese and candied walnuts may just be the thing to win you over. It’s by far one of my most favorite salad combinations ever! Those 3 ingredients along with baby spinach or salad leaves and a citrus dressing makes this a salad you’ll crave all the time.
I used a combination of red and yellow beets in this recipe, but feel free too use whichever ones you find. You can buy pre-cooked beets in the grocery stores now a days, but it’s just as easy to cook them yourself if you have an instant pot or you can even oven roast them. Prepared ahead of time cooked beets will last for up to a week in the fridge especially if you lightly coat them in olive oil. They are great for salads soups or even to add to creamy dips. Here’s how you can make this salad.
- 6-8 Medium Beets
- 3-4 Cups Salad Greens (of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp Chopped fresh Dill
- 1/4 Cup Goat Cheese Crumbles
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 Lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 Cup fresh Orange/grapefruit/lemon or lime Juice
- 1 tsp Lime/citrus zest
- 2 tbsp Honey/Maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- - Remove the greens attached to the beets aand give them a good scrub.
- - Add 1 1/2 Cup water to thee bottom of your Instant Pot/Pressure cooker, insert a steamer basket and cook the beets on High Pressure for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size of the beets). Release the pressure manually. Test if they are cooked by piercing them with a knife/fork; they should be tender. If not, cook on high pressure again for another 5- 10 mins.
- - Once cooked, transfer and allow the beets to cool off enough to handle them. Working while still warm rub the skins off with a paper towel.
- - Cut the peeled beets into slices or wedges, drizzle them with olive oil, squeeze some fresh lime juice over them and season them with salt and lots of black pepper.
- - Arrange the beets over salad leaves of your choice and top your salad with chopped fresh dill, lime zest, goat cheese crumbles and the chopped walnuts.
- - In a small bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad to your liking.