With the weather warming up, it’s time for some lighter meals. I love snacky meals paired with big portions of refreshing salads when it’s hot outside. So the other day I decided to make some Sticky Caramelized Pork Sandwiches along with some sort of slaw to go with it.
Since they were pork sandwiches, I decided to try an apple slaw and came up with this Sweet ‘n Tangy Apple- Cabbage slaw. As I’m not not a big fan of mayonnaise dressings when it comes to slaw’s, I came up with a much healthier, lighter and refreshing vinaigrette dressing using apple cider vinegar and honey.
The slaw not only turned out beautifully striking with it’s bright colors from the red cabbage, carrots, green onions and apples, it was sooo crisp and refreshing with a perfect balance of tangy and sweet. It was hard to stop eating it.
This salad, healthy and full of bright flavors is a great accompaniment/ side for grilling season and a must try in my books….Enjoy!
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 1 cup green cabbage/ or lettuce
- 1 – 1/2 apples (I used golden delicious apples)
- 2 carrots (about 1 cup)
- 3 green onions
- small handful cilantro
- 2 tbsp salad oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lime (about 1 tbsp)
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne
- – Shred the red cabbage and green cabbage (I didn’t have regular cabbage so I used lettuce instead) into fine strips. Measure 2 cups of the red cabbage and 1 of the green (or lettuce) for color and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- – Grate the carrots using a big holed grater and add it to the bowl along with sliced green onions.
- – Finely chop a small handful of cilantro and add it to the salad mix.
- – Lastly, cut the apple into thin match-stick pieces and add it to the salad. If you’re chopping up this sald ahead of time, don’t cut the apple till you’re ready to dress the salad cos they’ll turn brown. Toss everything together well.
- – For the dressing start with 2 tablespoons of salad oil in a jar or a bowl.
- – Add the honey, apple cider, lime juice, salt, pepper and a light dusting of cayenne to the oil.
- – Put the lid on and shake the dressing (if you’re using a bowl simply whisk it with a fork) until the oil and other liquids are mixed well.
- – Drizzle over the salad and toss well until everything is coated in the dressing.
- – Serve chilled.