A cool refreshing cucumber salad with Asian flair!
As cool as a cucumber! There’s a reason cucumbers are associated with hot weather…it’s cos they are cooling, refreshing and juicy. And nothing goes better with some spicy food than a little side of refreshing cucumber salad.
I made a tongue tingling Szechuan/Sichuan Salt & Pepper Stir Fry (recipe coming soon) the other night and needed a side to go with it and tame the heat. So I whipped up a quick and easy smashed cucumber salad with Asian flavors that would pair well with the stir fry pork. The smashing cucumber technique not only makes a cool rustic looking salad, but serves to crack the skin and flesh while releasing the seeds and juices, making the cucumber pieces more receptive to absorbing the flavors of the dressing. An added bonus is that smashing cucumbers can be quite therapeutic too! If you don’t believe me…just give it a try yourself.
Here’s how you can make Smashed Cucumber Salad as a side to your next Asian meal…
- * 2 English Cucumbers
- * 1+ tsp Salt
- * 2+ tsp Sugar
- * 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- * 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- * 2 tsp Light Soy
- * 2 Cloves of Garlic, grated
- * Crushed Red Pepper, to taste
- * 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- * 1 tsp Sesame Seeds, lightly toasted
- - Smash the cucumber using the smooth side of a meat hammer/ rolling pin or you can use the flat side of a clever if you have one. (Tip- loosely wrap the cucumber first in cling wrap so you don't get little cumber bits and juices flying everywhere.
- - Chop the smashed cucumber in bite size pieces
- - Place the chopped cucumber in a strainer/colander over a bowl and sprinkle with salt and some of the sugar.
- - Mix and allow the cucumber to drain for at least 15-30 mins in the fridge or until almost ready to serve.
- - For the dressing: Add the Rive Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Light Soy & remaining sugar. Grate in two garlic cloves and whisk it all together
- - Add the drained cucumber to the dressing and mix well to coat all the pieces
- - Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, lightly toasted sesame seeds and chopped fresh cilantro
- - Mix, plate & garnish with more cilantro & sesame seeds!