As promised in my last post, here’s another great summer recipe that is perfect for grilling season and large family gatherings (especially for a 4th of July party). It’s a healthier, gluten free and an optionaly vegetarian dish that’s perfect for the grill. It’s Portobello mushroom pizzas.
Now, this is more of a how to recipe rather than a precise one. I’ve not put any measurements in my recipe cos it’s really all about your taste. Feel free to use whatever sauce, seasonings and toppings you like. You can also keep it completley vegetarian or top it with chicken, bacon, pepperoni or your favorite pizza toppings.
Here’s how you can make some portobello mushroom pizzas on the grill for a barbecue…
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Pizza
* Portobello mushrooms
* Olive oil
* Salt & Pepper
* Garlic powder
* Pizza Sauce
* Mozzarella cheese
* Italian herb seasoning
* Red pepper flakes
* Toppings of choice (I used red pepper and chicken sausage)
- Start by cleaning the mushrooms. To to do this, first gently pull out the stem by twisting and pulling on it. Then, scrape out the gills (optional, it’s not necessary) with spoon. Then wash the mushrooms clean (you can use a damp cloth, but I just prefer washing them) and pat them dry with some paper towels.
- In the meantime get your grill going.
- Generously drizzle some olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms and rub it around with your fingers.
- Season the mushroom well on both sides with salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Once your grill is heated and your ready to go, cook the mushrooms bowl side (cavity side) down for 7-8 minutes.
- Then take the mushrooms off the grill and prepare the pizza part of this recipe.
- Smother some pizza sauce into the mushroom cavity. Top with some fresh chopped basil and fill it up with some grated mozzarella cheese.
- Next, sprinkle over some itlaian herb seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Then add whatever toppings you want on your pizza like sundried tomatoes, pepperoni, red pepper, onion, bacon…whatever you like really. I had some chicken sausage on hand so I used that with some red pepper.
- Then place the mushrooms back on the grill (fillinf side up obviously) and cook the mushroom for anothe 8-10 minutes (with the lid closed) until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Serve the pizzas hot with some fresh basil as garnish…mmmm!