Hi Everyone! Thanks so much to Noreen for having me on her beautiful blog. I’m writing today from the Windy City of Chicago, which is living up to its name this year. As the temperature drops, I start getting a lot more use out of my slow-cooker. A slow-cooker is a win-win: minimal effort with maximum flavor. I can toss in the ingredients, leave the house, and return to enjoy the amazing smells of dinner already done. Today I want to share a recipe for Slow-Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, which uses traditional Sloppy Joe Sauce but is a very sophisticated take on a weeknight Sloppy Joe recipe. (And it also works great with leftover Thanksgiving turkey!)
This recipe lightens up the classic pulled-pork sandwich by using chicken instead of pork. It’s still really moist, though, because chicken thighs are the tenderest cut. You can also moderate the spiciness by skipping the jalapeños and just using red bell peppers instead. Even though it’s a super easy recipe, it is still really satisfying and great for a crowd, which is why it’s perfect for Game Day! I recommend getting it started in the morning, so that by the time the afternoon football game comes on, you’re ready to serve up. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped nacho jalapeño peppers
- 1 can (15 oz each) Manwich® Original Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 Kaiser rolls
- - Spray the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- - Place the chicken, onion, jalapeno peppers and Sloppy Joe saucein the slow cooker. Cover & cook on LOW 8 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- - Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; shred.
- - Return the chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt; stir.
- - Reduce heat to WARM.
- - Serve in rolls. Enjoy!
- Slow-cooker tip: resist the urge to open the slow cooker while it’s cooking! The steam that collects helps the meat cook while staying moist.
- You can also put your own twist on this recipe by adding any of your favorite toppings: coleslaw, avocados, barbeque sauce and sautéed mushrooms all make great additions.