A super quick 5 minutes to make this marinade and you’ll have the the most flavorful, juicy chicken breast skewers ready to grill, or pop in the oven for a weeknight meal. However you choose to cook them, the results are always fabulous! So without further adieu, here’s a step by step on how you can make them…
Cilantro-Lime Chicken Skewers
(Makes about 10-12 skewers)
* 2 large Chicken Breasts
* 1 large onion
* 2 Bell Peppers (any color)
For the marinade-
* 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
* 2 Green onions
* 2 cloves of Garlic
* Zest & juice of one Lime
* 2 tbsp fish sauce
* 2 tsp seasame oil
* 2 tsp chili oil
For the garnish-
* Chopped Cilantro
* Lime wedges
**10-12 Skewers (soaked in water if you plan on grilling them)**
- Start by dicing the onion in big pieces (roughly 1 1/2 inches or so) and separate the layers. Discard the small pieces (or save them for another dish later).
- Dice the bell peppers about the same size. I used one red and one green pepper, but feel free to use any color peppers you want.
- Toss the onion and peppers together in a big bowl
- Next, dice the chicken breast in roughly the same size cubes and add it to the same bowl.
- For the marinade, tear off the ends of the cilantro stalks and roughly chop it and put it in the food processor bowl.
- Roughly chop the green onions & garlic cloves and add them also.
- Zest about have a lime for some freshness and add the juice of the whole lime to the processor bowl.
- Add the fish sauce, seasame & chili oil then pulse the processor until you get a chunky paste.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, onion & peppers. Mix everything well, so every piece is coated in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and set it in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or for a couple hours.
- Then skewer the peppers, chicken and onion anyway you like. I went with a pepper, chicken, onion, chicken, pepper, chicken, pepper, chicken and onion. So every skewer had four pieces of chicken.
- You can grill the chicken skewers if you have a grill. In my case, I don’t have an indoor grill and didn’t feel like firing up the charcoal barbeque just for the skewers, so I gave the skewers some color on all sides, in a very hot cast iron pan and then popped them in a 400F oven for 15 minutes until the chicken was cooked through. I then gave the skewers a blast under the broiler for a couple more minutes to give it a grilled flavor.
- Serve the chicken skewers with some fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges.